Strawberry legs: noun. Legs with dark spots that resemble the spots on a strawberry.
The politically correct term for these spots is open comedones.
Open Comedones: noun; a dark semisolid plug of oxidized debris; or open pores with excess dirt, oil, and bacteria trapped inside the skin.
Pore visibility on legs can be a major problem for women of color. At least it is for me. I never knew or understood why my pores were visible after shaving, so I decided to do some research. The dark spots occur when the open comedones have excess sebum, debris or bacteria trapped inside. The reaction from the trapped oil, dirt, or bacteria mixed with air and melanin causes the darker discoloration. The legs begin to resemble the skin of a strawberry, hence, the reference.
Here's what you can do:
1. Exfoliate: Regular exfoliation can help minimize the amount of debris trapped inside the pores. Use a natural exfoliation scrub like the lemon sugar body scrub listed under the DIY section of the blog.
2. Dry Skin Brushing: Before you shave, use a soft bristle brush and brush your legs in a circular motion.
3. Soak: Soak legs in warm to hot water for 10-15 minutes to open pores. Exfoliate, then shave afterwards.
4. Wax: Eliminates the need to shave, which is said to be the number one cause for strawberry legs, as the hair follicle is not completely removed while shaving.
5. Moisturize: After shaving and exfoliating, rub a mixture of tea tree and olive oils onto the legs for three to four minutes. (Create this mixture using two table spoons olive oil, two drops tea tree oil.) This will eliminate the trapped bacteria.
The above methods are not fool proof however, it is a start. I am going to try these methods for a while and log my results. I have started exfoliating twice a week but I do not see a difference in the appearance of my pores. I am also going to go to target to purchase an epilator. An epilator is an electrical device, similar to waxing, used to remove body hair from the root. I haven't decided which one I am going to purchase exactly but I heard this may help. I also heard this method is somewhat painful so I am going to prepare myself mentally. I may also take two Aleve's before I do this. I refuse to wax my legs lol. I'm not that worried about those dots that I am willing to endure that pain.
Comment, Like && Subscribe Below ..... Opinions Welcome!
To see older posts, scroll to the bottom and select "Older"